Benjamin Black, 31, was killed in a bicycle accident in North Las Vegas, which officials said, may have been caused by a speeding driver. According to a news report, the fatal accident occurred the morning of May 15 at Dorrell Lane and Bostick Weir Street near the 215 and Losee Road. Black was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead. Police say a black SUV collided with the bicyclist while traveling eastbound on Dorrell Lane. The driver of the SUV remained at the scene. Police say speed was a factor in the crash.
We offer our deepest condolences to the family of Benjamin Black for their tremendous loss. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
Speed and Bicycle Accidents
Studies have consistently shown that bicyclists are perhaps at most risk of severe injury in collisions with vehicles. There is a greater risk of severe injury and death with increased speed and increased age. Data shows a high rate of severe injuries for bicyclists even at a posted speed limit of 25 mph. At 30 mph, the risk of injury and death are almost equal. At 35 mph, the risk of death increases.
Drivers who operate at unsafe speeds put themselves and others on the roadway, including bicyclists at great risk. Excess speed could cause a driver to collide with a bicyclist if they are unable to stop in time to avoid the crash. When drivers are speeding, they may not even see a bicyclist in their field of vision until it’s too late.
Sharing the Road with Bicyclists
It is important to remember that under Nevada law, bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers of other vehicles. Here are a few important things for drivers to remember as they share the road with bicyclists:
- Yield to bicyclists as you would yield to motorists. Do not underestimate the speed of a bicycle.
- In parking lots, at stop signs or when parking, look out consciously for other vehicles including bicycles.
- Drivers turning right on red should look to the right and behind to avoid hitting a bicyclist approaching from the right rear.
- Always obey the speed limit, reduce speed for road conditions and drive defensively to avoid a collision with a bicyclist.
- Give cyclists room. Don’t pass too closely.
If you or a loved one has been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a bicycle accident, an experienced Las Vegas bicycle accident can help you better understand your legal rights and options, and help you secure maximum compensation for your losses.